Sunday, January 2, 2011

I used to think that New Year's Resolutions were silly. After a surprisingly short time, all good intentions fall by the wayside... so why bother making a promise you're not going to keep anyway. Statistics show that 25% don't even make it past the first week of January... and only about 50% make it six months. Not great odds at success. Sad, especially since the #1 Resolution for adults is "Lose Weight."

Since statistics show that the majority of people who make resolutions fail, I guess I just won't make it a resolution. I'll simply set a goal.

117 pounds. There. I said it. No time frame. No pressure.

To help get there, I'm going to weigh myself every day. Many popular weight-loss programs, like Weight Watchers, don't recommend getting on the scale everyday. Since our weight fluctuates a bit every day, some folks believe daily weighing can lead to discouragement or diet sabotage if you see a higher number on the scale one day to the next. Wimps.

First of all, I'm not the discourage-able type. Second, since I'm not going to be on a diet, I can't resort to diet sabotage. Just thinking about the word diet is depressing. It connotes deprivation, hunger, bean sprouts. UGH.

I'm going to think about my goal as simply being healthy which will lead to a slim, fit, thin body. I'm not going to starve myself or deprive myself along the way. But I will get on the scale, and face the music every day.

Weighing every day means I have to be accountable. It also means I'll immediately see the consequences of eating an entire bag of Oreos; so maybe I won't do that.

Since it's not a resolution, I didn't pressure myself to start January 1st. Or the 2nd even. It's the weekend. Goals are best started on a Monday. Even though I've given myself one last day... I'm NOT going down to the kitchen for a last HOO-RAH. I guess I'm already well on the way...
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment