Sunday, January 9, 2011

Obviously getting sufficient exercise is an essential element to fluff fighting. Since I'm an avid cyclist, this is something that's easy to do. Unless it's freezing cold outside; which it has been, pretty much since Thanksgiving.

From what I hear, this is about the coldest winter in St. George since, well, the lady that waxes my legs can remember - and she's lived here her whole life, which is probably somewhere around 22-26 years. So much for global warming and all... We've had SNOW ON THE GROUND that actually stayed for several days. In fact, there's still some in the shady part of our yard.

It has been in the 30s and 40s for about 6 weeks, with only a couple of days here and there where the thermometer topped 50. EGADS! The wind chill on a bike makes your ears, fingers and toes burn, and your face feel like you've been to the dentist and had not just your chin, but your entire face numbed with novacaine!

So we started taking walks. Did a few hikes and even went snowshoeing. I think that's partly why I shed the first few pounds so quickly; because my body isn't used to any of that - so I must have been working harder. It certainly felt like I was working harder. And it's humbling too... to be able to easily ride 40-50 miles even out of shape, but go for a 3 mile walk and feel wrecked. OY!

Walking, hiking and biking is a good combination, and my goal is to stick with that because it's no doubt healthier to cross-train and be fit for many different sports. It's safer too: Because sometimes (and hopefully on only very, very, very, very rare occasions) cycling is dangerous. Like having the three people in front of me hit a pothole and crash and, being unable to avoid the carnage, hitting a fallen cyclist, being launched into the air and landing entirely on my head... But that's a whole other story...

No comments:

Post a Comment