Sunday, January 16, 2011

Road trips are terrible for the waistline. It's simply not possible for someone with little to no willpower (like myself) to avoid snacking in the car. Or succumbing to poor food choices on the road. For example, and this is an actual example, not a hypothetical: Between St. George and Irvine, there are very few places to eat well, unless you've planned your travel around meal times AND you're willing to take an hour or more to sit down in a real restaurant.

We did neither of these things Wednesday. So dinner was the Mad Greek in Primm. As much as I enjoy Giros, healthy and nutritious they're not. Calorific and gluttonous they are. Did I eat every bite? You bet! YUM! At least, in the moment, YUM! Later, the YUM became laying in bed groaning and wishing I hadn't eaten that; which I knew was likely to happen - but that didn't stop me.

It was a quick road-trip, business oriented only, so we actually drove back Thursday. Chipotle Mexican Grill is not too bad of a meal choice, all things considered - especially when you have to eat in Barstow. Truck-stop food is pretty much the only alternative; so I think I did pretty well with a burrito. The problem was the fuel and bathroom stop at Flying J - with the endless variety of junk food. Brian likes sweets in the car, so he picked out a box of Mike & Ike's. When I got to the counter, the cashier just had to say, "these are 2 for $3 - do you want another box?" Want? NO! But such a deal!!! So Brian went back to the candy aisle and picked out a box of Dots. In the 3+ hours between Barstow and home, it's pretty easy for 2 people to eat 2 boxes of candy.

Calories don't count in the car, right?

I'm up a pound.

Serves me right.

1 comment:

  1. a couple of years ago when we drove up to see my dad in cody, wy it was made painfully clear to us that the I15 is not a healthy eating corridor! and it only gets worse once you get into wyoming! days of eating only fast food=no bueno. i feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete